When cometh producer culture? Now, according to Pew…
More than half of online teens are Content Creators.
Some 57% of online teens create content for the internet. That amounts to half of all teens ages 12-17, or about 12 million youth. These Content Creators report having done one or more of the following activities: create a blog; create or work on a personal webpage; create or work on a webpage for school, a friend, or an organization; share original content such as artwork, photos, stories, or videos online; or remix content found online into a new creation.
• The most popular Content Creating activities are sharing self-authored content and working on webpages for others.
33% of online teens share their own creations online, such as artwork, photos, stories, or videos.
• 32% say that they have created or worked on webpages or blogs for others, including those for groups they belong to, friends or school assignments.
• 22% report keeping their own personal webpage.
• 19% have created their own online journal or blog.
• About one in five internet-using teens (19%) says they remix content they find online into their own artistic creations.
Hmm. How long ’till these guys become more interested in what they are creating than what mass media is sending their way?